Thursday, December 20, 2012

Paper Towns

by John Green
Published: Dutton, 2009
Pages: 305

It's an "Eclectic Reader 2012 Challenge" book!

Quentin Jacobsen is on a mission.  His mission: to find the girl that he's been in love with for as long as he can remember, Margo Roth Spiegelman.  After a night of crazy adventure and revenge, Margo disappears and it's up to Quentin to find out where she went.  But as he looks deeper into the mystery, he finds that the Margo he knows and loves, might not be the real Margo.

John Green has created an incredible cast of characters that simultaneously annoy and excite me.  One of the reasons I really like this book is because I connected immediately with Quentin.  I wanted to find Margo just a bad as Quentin did and I was incredibly disappointed whenever we hit a dead end.  When the bigger picture was revealed, I was surprised right along with Q.  This connection to the characters is incredible and can only be the work of a fine writer.

The mystery is clever and well thought out, twisting and turning in ways that I couldn't predict at all.  There is rarely a mystery that I can't figure out before it's revealed in the book but John Green stumped me.  I am proud to say that I am very happy that I didn't figure everything out, it made this book ten times more intriguing and wonderful.

John Green has done it again.  He has created a narrative that has captured my attention from the beginning.  The mystery and the relationships between the characters make this book incredible.  Moving forward, I will read anything that John Green writes.

Stars: 4/5

Praise: 

"Green...delivers once again with this satisfying, crowd-pleasing look at a complex, smart boy and the way he loves.  Genuine--and genuinely funny--dialogue...mystery...and delightful secondary characters.  A winning combination."
           --Kirkus Reviews

"Green's prose is astounding-from hilarious...to devastating observation and truths.  The mystery of Margo...is fascinating, cleverly constructed, and profoundly moving."
         --School Library Journal

No comments:

Post a Comment