Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Favorite Characters in YA

hosted by the Broke and the Bookish.

1. Luna Lovegood (Harry Potter) - What's not to love about this beautiful girl who is not afraid to be herself even when others choose to make fun of her.  She does what she wants and holds fast to what and who she believes in.

2. Finnick Odair (The Hunger Games) - He has a heart the size of Texas and it really shows when we learn about the woman he loves.  He has an extraordinary heart and fierce loyalty towards those he trusts.

3. Hermione Granger (Harry Potter) - I figured out why she studies so much: she lived our dream of finding out we belong at Hogwarts.  Also, I can't think of a thing she wouldn't do for those that she loves.  (I'm sensing a theme here.)  She is sass and brainpower, strong-willed and protective.

4. Hazel Grace (The Fault in out Stars) - Her outlook on life is unique and amazing given her circumstances.  I really enjoy her sense of humor and her determination to get along in life.

5. Ed Kennedy (The Messenger) - There is something very charming about not having your life together and Ed Kennedy is the master of coasting through life.  I think his development as a characters throughout this book is the reason I like him so much.

6. Rory Deveaux (The Name of the Star) - Her sense of adventure and supernatural abilities make her a character to remember.  Come on, if you had the chance to pick where you went to high school, tell me you wouldn't pick London.  I would!

7. Hassan Harbish (An Abundance of Katherines) - His humor and loyalty as a friend is the best thing about him.  He's his own person and doesn't let tragedy define him, maybe laziness, but not world events.  His relationship with his best friend is honest and makes me laugh.

8. Andrew "Ender" Wiggin (Ender's Game) - There's an innocence about him that make him one of my favorite characters.  At the same time, just because he's younger and smaller, doesn't mean he'll let others walk all over him.  He stands up for himself and proves himself against others that are much older than him.

9. Scout Finch (To Kill a Mockingbird) - I can't really explain why I like Scout so much, but I think part of it has to do with her not being afraid of Boo Radley.  Their friendship is so precious that I can't help but love both of them.

10. Samantha Madison (All American Girl) - She was one of the first characters I read that I really wanted to be; everything right down to her crazy red and fiery disposition.

5 comments:

  1. Good list, I love Luna, Hermione and Hazelas well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Samantha is great! All American Girl is one of my favorite Meg Cabot books. Oooo and Luna and Hermione from HP! Such great characters. I love Hermione because she is soooo nerdy, which I totally identify with, but she isn't afraid to break the rules. And Luna! Such a character.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hassan is so on my list, too! But really when it comes to YA I love the characters you picked and I totally agree with you on their favorable-ity factor especially Finnick (swoon) and I'm so glad to see Luna on your list! An unlikely choice but well-deserved.

    Here's my Top Ten Tuesday post!

    Sana @ artsy musings of a bibliophile

    ReplyDelete
  4. we picked two of the same books, but different characters!

    http://ilikebigbooksblog.wordpress.com/2013/02/19/top-ten-tuesday-5/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Finnick as well! I wasn't sure about him in Catching Fire but I loved his character in Mockingjay. And I love Hazel. The Fault In Our Stars is such an awesome book.

    ReplyDelete