Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Worst/Best Series Endings

hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.


BEST:

Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien:  It's a bit touch and go, but finally seeing the ring that had manipulated and destroyed so many people, dissolved is one of the greatest feelings of relief ever.

Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling:  Our questions are answered and we get to see Harry and Voldemort finally duel it out in the last battle.  And while there was so much death, the resolution almost  made that death bearable.

Percy Jackson by Rick Riordan:  These characters have grown up in this series from 12 to 16 in the last book.  I feel a little protective of them because I've grow so attached, but we really get to see Percy, Annabeth and Grover shine in the last installment.  They come into their own and take on an impossible task.  It was just so satisfying.

The Sisters Grimm by Michael Buckley:  This is a incredibly clever and very entertaining series that drew me in every moment.  The ending gave us a glimpse into the girls' future in a way that didn't seem tacky and unnecessary.


WORST:

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins: Some of you might really like this ending, but I didn't.  There was just so much loss and destruction that the idea of a happy ending doesn't seem possible.  It didn't seem like Katniss chose, it seemed more like she settle for what ever was left, like after all the fighting she was still just this shell of a person, living this shell of a life.  I don't know about you, but I think this series deserved a better ending than that.

Maximum Ride by James Patterson:  I'm going to say it right here.  I don't even remember the last book in this series and I read it this past spring.  Less than a year ago.  Good books are usually memorable, but if I can't recall a single thing about it, then there's trouble.

A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket:  I got so invested in this series as a kid.  There were so many questions that needed to be answered and by the 13th book I was ready for them all, except we didn't really get any answers.  And the answers we did get weren't all that satisfying.

Twilight by Stephanie Meyers:  I didn't even like this series, but I will say that I was absorbed thoroughly when I read them. But when I read Breaking Dawn, I literally scoffed out loud.  The entire book was gearing up for an event that never even happened.  And it wasn't like it couldn't have happened, but they decided to talk it out.  That scene just solidified my dislike for the series.

1 comment:

  1. Harry Potter AMEN! And Mockingjay made my worst list too. Good list!

    TTT
    Sandy @ Somewhere Only We Know

    ReplyDelete