Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Book Cover Trends I Like/Dislike


hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

Trends I Like: 

1. Typography - I really like fonts and  book covers that are completely covered in beautiful typography.



2. Redheads - I love red hair and for some reason the YA genre has cornered the market of redheads on covers.
3. Fire - sometimes flame on a book cover can be really cool
4. Bright color - Colors that are going to stand out on my bookshelf and scream to be picked up are something I'm always looking for.  I don't think there are enough yellow books in the world I love the punch of color.
5. Patterns - Beautiful patterns make for gorgeous covers and these generally fit into the simplistic kind of covers that I really enjoy.



Trends I Dislike:

6. Beheaded people - Maybe it's just me but I like seeing people with heads.



7. Kissing people - I feel like this sometimes takes the appeal out of the book.  The cover already tells me that two people are going to get together and probably kiss.  I like to be completely surprised and somehow this just ruins it for me.

8. Movie poster covers - I know this is a great way to advertise both the book and it's movie, but I cannot stand it.  For the most part, I think they're ugly - I would never willingly purchase a book with that cover.  (In fact, I searched high and low for a non-movie poster cover of The Silver Linings Playbook and when I couldn't find it in stores, I bought it online.)

No comments:

Post a Comment