Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Classics

hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

This is a two part: the first five are my top five favorite classics.  The second five are the top five I want to read.

Read and Loved:

1. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen - This is my all-time favorite classic.  (And who can blame me?) I've read it many a time and I never get bored.  I have yet to meet another classic that I love as much as this one.

2. To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee - I read this for the first time in my 9th grade English class, but I had seen the movie already.  I can't get over the importance of this book and message that it sends.  I absolutely love the characters.

3. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald - Three words: The Green Light.  Three more words: Dr. TJ Eckleburg's Eyes.

4. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien - This book (quite possibly, aside from Harry Potter) is the reason I love fantasy and adventure.  In 5th grade, a mom came in on fridays to read us books.  This was one of those books. (Harry Potter also happened to be one of those books but who's taking about Harry Potter...)

5. The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis - I read this in 6th grade for a book report and I loved it.  It took me a couple of years to finish the rest of this series, but this book had me looking in every cupboard, closet, and wardrobe I could find.




Want and Need to Read:
Most of these books were recommended to me by my good friend Leigh.  I'm ashamed to say that I haven't gotten to them yet, but some of them I plan on reading this summer!


1. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte - I've had this book for years and now this summer I will be reading it, as it has perpetually been on my TBR pile since I acquired it.  

2. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte - I want to read this and I will!  This is probably the one on the list I most want to read.

3. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott - I picked this one up at the end of the year last year, but I wasn't in the mood.  I put it on my summer list this year so hopefully I'm in the mood for this time.

4. Rebecca by Daphne DuMaurier - Leigh's asked me about this one quite a bit, which make me think that I need to make this a higher priority. (BUT so many books.)

5. The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde - My late friend (not Leigh) suggested that this is the best piece of literature to ever grace the planet.

No comments:

Post a Comment