Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Inspirational Quotes from books

hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

I have a quote most weeks that reflect this challenge.  I'll probably use some of them here but I'll make some of these new ones. Also, my quotes sort of swerved away from the inspirational side and just went to plain meaningful.

"There are all kinds of courage.  It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends."
     - Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling)

"Let us learn to show friendship for a man when he is alive and after he is dead." 
     - Nick Carraway (The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald)

"People sometimes make unexpected choices when they are lonely.
     - Mr. Penderwick (The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall)


"What I say and what I mean is two different things.
     - The BFG (The BFG by Roald Dahl)

"Life is not a PG feel-good movie.  Real life often ends badly.  Literature tries to document the reality, while showing us it is still possible for us to endure nobly." 
     - Pat (The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick)

"It's not hard to own something.  Or everything.  You just have to know that it's yours and then be willing to let it go.
     - (Stardust by Neil Gaiman)


"Growing up, I took most my cues from books.  They taught me most of what I knew about what people did, about how to behave.  They were my teachers and my advisers.
      - The nameless boy (The Ocean at the Bottom of the Lane by Neil Gaiman)

"There are moments that you'll remember for the rest of your life and there are moments that you think you will remember for the rest of your life, and it's not often they turn out to be the same moment."
     - Puck (The Scorpio Races by Maggie Steifvater)



"Mirrors have an uncanny way of telling the truth." 
     - Dr. Erland (Cinder by Marissa Meyer)

"Each day means a new twenty-four hours.  Each day means everything's possible again.  You live in the moment, you die in the moment, you take it all one day at a time.
      - Day (Legend by Marie Lu)

    

12 comments:

  1. Hooray, that quote from Harry Potter made my list, too. ^_^ Great list! That's a lovely quote from Stardust. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that quote and so many other ones from Harry Potter!

      Delete
  2. These are some awesome quotes. I love them all. I really like the Scorpio Races quote.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really enjoyed The Scorpio Races and there are some other really good quotes in that book. Maggie Steifvater sure has a way with words.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I haven't read stardust in a while, but I've always really liked this quote.

      Delete
  4. I love your choice of quotes! Incorporating the book covers was a really good idea too. Love the BFG quote in particular.

    Yummy yummy words: my favorite quotes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The BFG is one of my all-time favorite books! It's chalked full of great lines. and thanks!

      Delete
  5. I really like your quotes from The Scorpio Races and The Silver Linings Playbook, so true! Great list :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I read Silver Linings Playbook, I didn't realize how many good lines would be in this book. That's one of my favorite!

      Delete
  6. Love the Gaiman quotes. He's a fantastic writer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always excited to read his books because the writing is amazing!

      Delete