Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Sisters Red

by Jackson Pearce
published: Little Brown Books, 2012 (originally 2010)
pages: 352

The March sisters are bound together by love, fate, and the Fenris, werewolves of a very malevolent nature.  Scarlett has an obsession with ridding the world of these God-forsaken creatures, making it save for everyone, but especially her sister.  Rosie hunts because she has to, but her interest lies in discovering new things, living life to the fullest.  Neither are tested by their true passions until Scarlett's old hunting partner comes back to town and they all set out to take down the Fenris once and for all.

I haven't read a lot of urban fantasy but I thought this story had a strong anchor in how the fantasy elements met the real world.  I loved the supernatural villains, the Fenris.  They were creepy and slimy, great evil characters.  I loved how they preyed on girls in the book.  I thought that was very interesting and clever.

I had a couple issues with this book, but the one that bothered me the most was the fact that I saw the big plot twist from a mile away.  I called it like 50 or so pages in jokingly, but then I realized shortly after that the story was going in exactly that direction.  I don't pick up on clues like that very easily, so I was a bit disappointed that I figured it out so soon in the story.  It didn't stop me from finishing the book, but I wish there had been a little bit of the plot twist that I didn't know from guessing.

I also wasn't a huge fan of the romance in this book.  I thought it was played very well in the beginning.  Boy notices girl, girl notices boy.  They dance around the idea of them as a couple for a while.  But in the time frame that the book takes place it's only a couple of weeks and it surprised me how fiercely they loved each other.  It seemed slightly out of sync with the rest of the book.  Plus, I thought there was going to be this really awkward love triangle, so I was on the fence about the romance anyway.

I liked Scarlett and Rosie, two very different characters and yet they were very similar somethings.  The story was told from their points of view, so it was cool to see the same situation through their eyes.  They had very different opinions about how life should be lived and the responsibility they have to people around them.

This is the first Jackson Pearce book I've read, but it won't be the last.  I'm interested to see how she has adapted other fairytales in her other books.

Stars: 3/5

Praise:

"This well-written, high-action adventure grabs readers and never lets go...A satisfying read with a fantastic cover."
     --School Library Journal, starred review

"Unfolds with steadily increasing tension and unexpected twists to a shocking climax...may well appeal to Melissa Marr's readers and teens who like their fantasy on the gritty side."
     --Kirkus Review

"[Sisters Red is] a sweet and terrifying story I  couldn't put down.  I would like to apply for the role of March sister number three, please."
     --A. S. Kings, author of The Dust of 100 Dogs

A 2015 TBR Pile Challenge Book.

No comments:

Post a Comment