Wednesday, July 29, 2015

7 Scenes that I wish had been in the Movies


Faith of GeekyZooGirl and Micheline of Lunar Rainbow Reviews are hosting the Harry Potter Month in July and I'm on board!  People can compete in the House Cup by accumulating house points.  I'll be earning said house points by posting about Harry Potter among other Harry Potter related activities! This year I will be representing Hufflepuff!


Last week I wrote about the importance in separating books and movies as two different mediums to enjoy them throughly.  I like the movies, but there are scenes that I would have loved to see in the movies!  Here's seven of them:

1. I would have loved to see Luna's room in Deathly Hallows when Harry, Ron, and Hermione visit Xenophelius at home.  It's described so beautifully that I had hoped they'd include it in the film.  I knew the chances were slim seeing as that seemed to be a minute detail compared to the much large story line.  Still, I would have loved to see the paintings of all their faces on her wall.  That would have been so gorgeous!


2. I so wish that Harry and Ginny's kiss in Half-Blood Prince was the kiss from the book.  I want to see Harry come in from detention irritated that he had to miss the match, but curious and anxious to find out if they won.  I want to see Harry hug and kiss Ginny without thinking and see Ron go red and then shrug a little because he'd rather see his sister with his best friend than anyone else.  I'd love to see Ginny tell off Ron for making a comment about PDA.  Man, all of that would be so awesome!

3. Dumbledore's Funeral.  I know this sounds morbid, but Dumbledore deserved the funeral from the book.  It would have been right to see everyone come together to tribute Dumbledore one last time.  To hear Fawkes sing and see everyone cry over the beloved man.  For all his faults, Dumbledore did so much for Harry and the wizarding world in general.  I would have liked the movie to dwell on this at least a little bit.


4. Winky the house elf would have rounded out the Goblet of Fire really well.  It would have made the presence of Barty Crouch Jr more prevalent.  If we had seen Winky by herself in the box at the Quidditch World Cup then there would be a reason for Barty Crouch Jr. to be there.  And the revelation that Barty Crouch Jr. was Moody that much more impressive.

5. WHERE WAS GINNY in all of Order of the Phoenix.  I mean really.  This was the book that Ginny's character arch developed in a great way.  She became feisty and fierce, though I'm sure she always was, we get to see it because she started to be herself around Harry.  I loved this in the book, and I would have loved to see some scenes with Ginny in it.


6. It would have been great to see the scene in St. Mungo's where we find out Arthur's okay and see the Longbottoms and Neville.  I would have loved to see that.  In the Order of the Phoenix, Neville is still painted as the incompetent student who just can't get it.  This scene would have done wonders for his character development.

7. Peeves should have been in the movies.  There so many great scenes that would have made the movies that much better.  For example, the moment when the twins leave and instruct Peeves to "give her hell for us" would have been awesome!  Plus, he's used as foreshadowing for quite a bit of things later in the series.  It would have been cool to see him break the vanishing cabinet in Chamber of Secrets and then see Draco trying to fix it in Half-Blood Prince.  That would have been great!

Bonus!
8. I would have loved to see more Quidditch in the movies.  We get it in the first three and in the sixth, but it would have been great to hear the cancelation in Goblet of Fire.  As painful as it would have been, it would have been great to see Ron suck at Quidditch and hear Weasley is Our King being sung and then to see Fred, George and Harry banned from it.  That would have been infuriating but also a great show of character on everyone's part.


6 comments:

  1. I agree with a lot of these - I so wish Harry and Ginny's book kiss had been in the movies (although tbh I wasn't keen on the way they portrayed Ginny in the movies AT ALL) and I really, really would have loved to see the scene in St. Mungo's with Frank and Alice. It would have been heartbreaking, but I would have loved to have seen it.

    I also wish they'd the ending of Half Blood Prince properly where there's an all-out war in the middle of Hogwarts and Bill gets attacked, and then there's that wonderful scene in the hospital wing between Fleur and Molly. And I wanted more Tonks. And I'd hoped to see Andromeda and Ted and baby Teddy...

    Actually, there's quite a lot I wish they'd put into the movies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent scenes! It would be so much fun to see them acted out in the films.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, I agree with all of these - surprise, surprise. I won't even get into a thing about Ginny in general OR her kiss with Harry because I'll end up writing you a BOOK, so moving on: I also wish Dumbledore's funeral had been shown. I mean hello, they gave Cedric a funeral and we only knew him for ONE film (two books but still) Dumbledore was a MAIN CHARACTER FFS, he deserved a proper send off like in the books! Yes to Winky, Peeves, Luna's Room and more Quidditch^^ And that scene from Saint Mungo's was so important. Especially to Neville's character and to Harry's understanding of Neville.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree with your whole entire post! All of those scenes would have made wonderful additions to the movies. I would have definitely loved to see Neville's parents at St. Mungos. I also wish a lot of the Percy scenes would have made it into the movies, especially the scene right before Fred's death, because that moment meant a lot to me and showed Percy redeeming himself in a way. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, yes, yes to all of these! Especially Harry & Ginny's kiss, Dumbledore's Funeral, the scene in St. Mungo's and Peeves. Peeves in Order of the Phoenix especially, because a lot of the film can feel quite grim. Although the St Mungo's scene definitely isn't cheerful, it gives you a better understanding of Neville and it's a heartbreaking moment, so I was sad it wasn't included.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's no reason to cut out Peeves! He would have added great, small yet comedic scenes to the films. It would have added to the Hogwarts's atmosphere.
    I would have also loved to see Luna's room in DH. It's such a beautiful scene!
    What I want to know is what happened to Winky after GoF. She's never mentioned again and that makes me think she had an unhappy ending.

    ReplyDelete