Friday, July 10, 2015

Favorite Harry Potter Quotes


Faith of GeekyZooGirl and Micheline of Lunar Rainbow Reviews are hosting the Harry Potter Month in July and I'm on board!  People can compete in the House Cup by accumulating house points.  I'll be earning said house points by posting about Harry Potter among other Harry Potter related activities! This year I will be representing Hufflepuff!

I love quotes and I love Harry Potter so today I'm going to share with you some of my favorite Harry Potter quotes from across all the books.

1. "You're a wizard, Harry!"  - Hagrid, Sorcerer's Stone.

I love this one because it's the first glimpse of hope Harry receives in his miserable world.  That's the moment when Harry finds out that his life could get better, it won't forever be living with the Dursleys.

2. "If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals" - Sirius, Goblet of Fire

This one is great.  It's probably one of my favorite quotes in the entire series.  I love that Sirius has such a great perspective in the appearances of people and whether or not they are good.  He points out a very valid moment.  It's really easy to be good to those that are equals, but it's also really easy to mistreat those that are inferior.  Sirius reminds everyone reading that there is no excuse to treat others poorly.

3. "Hearing voices no one else can hear isn't a good sign, even in the wizarding world." - Ron, Chamber of Secrets

I like this moment in the book when Harry wants some reassurance that he's not crazy, but Ron doesn't give it to him.  Ron knows that he could lie to make Harry feel alright, but he doesn't. He's straight up about hearing voices.  I like that their friendship is that solid.

4.  "Things we lose have a way of coming back to us in the end, if not always in the way we expect."  - Luna, Order of the Phoenix

I love Luna more than most things, but in this moment I love Luna's mother.  We never get the chance to meet the woman that loved Luna more than life.  But I feel like she was a wonderful human being.  Luna mentions that her mom used to say this, and I think it's absolutely brilliant and beautiful.

5.  "Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic. Capable of both inflicting injury and remedying it." - Dumbledore, Deathly Hallows

Dumbledore is a very wise man, he's made a lot of mistakes in order to become the wise man he was.  I love this quote because I love words and he expresses my love for words so eloquently.  It's true words are extremely powerful, but they are also so magical.  I love it!

6. "Do you remember me telling you we are practicing non-verbal spells, Potter?"
"Yes," said Harry stiffly.
"Yes, sir."
"There's no need to call me "sir" Professor."
The words had escaped him before he knew what he was saying." - Harry and Snape, Half-Blood Prince


I love this interaction.  It shows that Harry's pretty much done with Snape's attitude and actions.  Snape is a pinhead, I like his character, but man he is freaking relentless with this grudge of his.  Harry's had enough and it's hilarious.

7. "You think the dead we loved truly ever leave us?  you think that we don't recall them more clearly in times of great trouble?" - Dumbledore, Prisoner of Azkaban

I love this quote because it's so true.  I don't think the dead ever truly leave.  Their memory keeps them alive and often it comforts and much as it brings grief.

What are some of your favorite quotes from Harry Potter?

16 comments:

  1. Excellent quotes! There are so many great ones, aren't there? J.K. Rowling has such a way with words. I guess I should have started preparing them beforehand, so I'll go with the humorous ones that are the first that come to my mind now))

    "What happened down in the dungeons between you and Professor Quirrell is a complete secret, so, naturally, the whole school knows." - Dumbledore, PS

    "Really, Severus," said Professor McGonagall sharply, "I see no reason to stop the boy playing Quidditch. This cat wasn't hit over the head with a broomstick." - CoS

    "You look in excellent health to me, Potter, so you will excuse me if I don't let you off homework today. I assure you that if you die, you need not hand it in." - Professor McGonagall, PoA

    "Is it true that you shouted at Professor Umbridge?"
    "Yes," said Harry.
    "You called her a liar?"
    "Yes."
    "You told her He Who Must Not Be Named is back?"
    "Yes."
    ..."Have a biscuit, Potter." - OotP

    "We did it, we bashed them, wee Potter's the One,
    And Voldy's gone mouldy, so now let's have fun!" - Peeves, DH

    "Really gives a feeling for the scope and tragedy of the thing, doesn't it?" - Ron, DH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are all so great! The humor in these books makes me laugh so much! :D

      Delete
  2. So many awesome quotes! This series is already gold when it comes to quotes but you picked out some of my favorites:
    1.A classic, THE moment where everything changes for Harry!
    2.One of my favorites too. Sirius is awesome but that quotes shows how wise he is as well. ♥
    3. I like that you included this one and what you said about how it speaks about Harry and Ron's friendship!!
    4.LUNA!! She is awesome. Enough said!
    5. Another one of my favorites ♥ Good old Dumbledore :)
    6. I LOL EVERY TIME I read that part. I SO WISH it had made it's way to the movie.
    7. More Dumbledore wisdom and feels. I can never get enough :*)

    Thanks for sharing this Alex! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :D There were so many more quotes, it's almost impossible to narrow it down to seven favorites. Usually my favorites are whatever I happen to be thinking about at the moment.

      Delete
  3. These are so great! The first one of course is the turning point for Harry. I LOVE the quote from Luna, but she is my favorite. Here are a couple of my fav's from Dumbledore:

    "It is our choices… that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."

    "People find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right."

    "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH these are really good and all true. Man that Dumbledore guy was a wise one. :)

      Delete
  4. I LOVE Harry's snarky response to Snape in that quote, lol. Ron's comment about hearing voices has been adapted by my family and used quite often; whenever someone says that something isn't a good sign, somebody else never fails to add, "even in the wizarding world." LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so great! :D I love that your family uses that quote.

      Delete
  5. I can hear Hagrid's voice whenever I read "You're a wizard, Harry." I can't help it. It is that ingrained in my mind.

    #6 has to be one of my all time favorites. It's just so perfect. You know if he would have thought about it he might have bit his tongue, but it was an automatic response. I can totally relate :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, he could have held his tongue, but I'm glad he didn't. There were times when Snape needed a little backlash, because he's a grade A prick.

      Delete
  6. Ahh I love that scene with Harry and Snape! I've been noticing more things on my current re-read of the series and even though I was never a HUGE fan of Snape, I'm liking him less and less, especially the way he treats Neville. I mean, Harry can hold his own against him (obvious from your quote) but poor Neville is quite paralyzed for the first few books.

    And Luna is wonderful, as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, I always thought Snape was loyal to Dumbledore, but I never liked him much. When I was younger, I had more sympathy toward him and whatnot. Now that I'm older, every time I reread these books I find one more reason to dislike him. I think he's despicable for taking out his anger and own injustices on children.

      Delete
  7. I love all of these quotes!
    1. I agree completely because this is the time everything changes for Harry. This is where he starts to have a life outside of the Dursley's and gets friends and reassurance that he isn't a waste of space.
    2. I agree with you that this is one of the best quotes in the series. It's such good advice and it really shows off Sirius's character so well =D
    3. I also like the subtle humor Ron used. He doesn't just say no it isn't good, he had to go a step further and say even in this weird world that isn't good, lol :D
    4. I pretty much loved everything Luna said because not only is she the best, she also spoke in this poetic manner that I loved reading.
    5. I also love that quote because it is Dumbledore in a nut-shell. He is more of a man of words than a man of violence and this quote really shows that.
    6.I laugh whenever I read this quote! It is the best and it really shows off how sassy Harry was in the books. I am forever mad that the movies didn't show his sassy sid. When I first watched the movies I was like "Where's sassy Harry?"
    7. This quote is so true and, like you said, it's the memories we have of that person that keeps them alive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many good quotes in this series it was hard to pick just 7 to share. Luna is the best, you're write she speaks in such a poetic way that it is soothing and mystical at the same time.

      Delete
  8. Brilliant choice of quotes! I especially love 2 and 6. :D One of my favourite quotes from the series has to be: 'It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends.' <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH! I love that one too!! I totally forgot about it when I was creating this list. I could have gone on and on forever with quotes, which is why I only chose 7. haha. :)

      Delete