Wednesday, November 18, 2015

The False Prince

by Jennifer A. Nielsen
published: Scholastic, 2012
pages: 342

When a noble of the court, Connor, picks four boys, they have no way of knowing that they'd be trained to impersonate the missing prince.  Sage and two other orphans must compete for their lives and the chance to be chosen; this deadly secret could be the end of everyone if it got out.  Everyone seems to have their own agenda and reasons for wanting to be chosen, and Connor is less than forthright with his motives as well.  The truth will come out, but who's truth will it be and which boy will make it out as the missing prince?

This book was so enchanting.  I was hooked from the very beginning.  Sage's ability to captivate the reader while being completely stubborn, snarky, and obstinate is charming.  He has a confidence in himself and his fly-by-the-seat-of-his-pants attitude helped me become completely engrossed in the story.

The fast paced nature of this book really felt like an adventure.  You never knew what was going to happen to the characters next.  There was never a point in the story when I wished we could just skip to the next bit of action.  Everything built on itself which helped make me feel completely immersed in the story.

The mystery that lies in the folds of the story slowly reveals itself in a most unexpected way.  There is so much information to take in, the world, the characters, the intensity of the government.  It's a whirlwind of a story that's just beginning.  I didn't expect the plot twist and it was so wonderfully unexpected.  I was floored by it.

Jennifer A. Nielson is an incredible story teller; she had me bewitched from the first page.  I cannot wait to get my hands on the rest of this trilogy!


Stars: 4/5

Praise:

"Sage is deftly characterized through humorous first-person narration, quickly establishing himself as a beguiling antihero.... [A]n impressive, promising story with some expertly executed twists."
     --Publishers Weekly, starred review

"Sage proves to be a compelling character whose sharp mind and shrews self -possession will make readers eager to follow him into a sequel."
     --The Wall Street Journal

"A swashbuckling origin story... Sage is a quick wit, and Nielsen showcases it with terrific dialogue... chock full of alluring details for adventure-loving boys."
     --Los Angeles Times

1 comment:

  1. Awesome review Alex^^ I've owned a digital copy of this one for years but for whatever reason, I never got around to it. You've definitely made me want to change that ASAP! I love the sound of the protagonist, the pacing and especially the mystery: I love me a good mystery :D

    ReplyDelete