Wednesday, July 20, 2016

The Wand Story


Faith of GeekyZooGirl and Micheline of Lunar Rainbow Reviews are hosting the Harry Potter Month in July and I'm on board! People can compete in the House Cup by accumulating house points. I'll be earning said house points by posting about Harry Potter among other Harry Potter related activities! This year I will be representing Hufflepuff!


Every witch and wizard needs a wand, and today, I'm going to tell you the story of my wand. I usually tell this standing up, so I can pace and use my hands and arms to their fullest extent but since I can't do that in this medium, you'll just have to use your imagination.

The year was 2014. The place was Ollivander's in the newly opened Diagon Alley. I was standing to right of the semi circle completely engrossed in the man behind the counter keeping records while everyone entered the room. I was taking in the shelves stuffed full of wands all around us. It was amazing to finally be in the room that I had seen and imagined so many times.

When Ollivander looked up and began to speak to us, I couldn't take my eye off him. I knew he chose  only one person each time to receive a wand and I thought it would be the girl on the other side of the room who looked to be about 8 or 10 years old. So I didn't actually comprehend what was happening when Ollivander stopped in front of me and asked me my name.

I'm still surprised I was able to answer him. Thank God for automatic responses. He beckoned me toward his desk and asked me which about my wand hand. (Left, in case you are wondering.) He had me try a couple of wands: the first caused some shelves to collapse and move, the second cause a bell at the top of the stairs to ring just a tad too loudly and violently. The third one though, this one had the connection.  I held it and the room seemed to dim, wind began to blow, and the warm feeling of meant to be came over me.

"The wand chooses the wizard, Mr. Potter" -- Indeed my wand, Birch wood with a Dragon heartstring core, 11 1/2", slightly springy, chose me.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, your post made me go all 'squeeee'. This is so cool! Ollivander himself gave you your wand!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No.Way. This is BRILLIANT. I would have died! Ollivander himself...just thinking about it makes me giddy :D My ultimate bucket list item is going to The Wizarding World of HP!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We went to Ollivander's and I bought Dumbledore's wand. I didn't get to have a wand given to me by him though. That's wonderful!!! I can't even imagine. Just the experience of the shelves moving and going through the same motions that Harry did is such a great thing for them to add.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so cool! It's so awesome that you get to experience getting your wand just like in the stories. That's so special :D
    I want to go to The Wizarding World of HP so bad!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such an awesome experience! I'd be happy just buying a wand there, but to get to be chosen by Ollivander is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete