Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Top Ten Tuesday: Hidden Gems I'v Recently Read

hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

Today, I'm only going to highlight four novels. I read all of these in 2016 and absolutely loved them. In fact, I think I rated each of these novels 5 stars, a rating I don't hand out easily. Trouble is a Friend of Mine is a reread, I read it when it first came out in 2015; it's just as good the second time through, maybe better. Without further ado, here are my four hidden gems of 2016.


1-2. Trouble is a Friend of Mine by Stephanie Tromly, Trouble Makes a Comeback by Stephanie Tromly - These are the first two books in a trilogy about a boy shrouded in mystery and conflict. I'm a slow reader and I flew through both of these books. The story is so intriguing. Imagine a stranger showing up in your life and essentially enlisting you in all sorts of mischeif and tomfoolery to solve a missing persons case. Chaos is bound to happen.


3. A Study in Charlotte by Brittany Cavallaro - This book is about the distant relatives of Sherlock Holmes and John Watson and it's amazing! They end up going to the same private school and they are thrust together to solve a crime just like their original counterparts. It's endearing and reminiscent, but also a breathe of fresh air in a world with so many retellings.

4. Everland by Wendy Spinale - This reimagining of Peter Pan is unlike any other. The setting alone is enough to make me love this book. A blitzed and diseased London make for a fascinating map of Neverland. Clever incarnations of these classic characters mixed with new ones give this story a great dynamic. I loved it.

1 comment:

  1. I've heard a lot of great things about A Study in Charlotte so I'm definitely going to read it as soon as I can :D

    ReplyDelete