Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Top Ten Tuesday: Throwback


hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

The year was 2012. I was just beginning this blog and there were lots of books I wanted to read and review. I ended up reading some really great books that year; I'd like to share with you the top ten books I read in my first year of book blogging.

1. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green - My review This book was probably my most anticipated release of 2012.

2. Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler - my review I was really excited to read this book because I loved the Series of Unfortunate Events. Daniel Handler has a very unique style of writing and I loved how it was paired with beautiful drawings in this book to tell the story.

3. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie - my review My first Agatha Christie book! I actually had to read this for a class I was taking. I remember really being stumped by this book; I enjoyed trying to figure out the mystery as I was reading.


4. Getting Over Garrett Delaney by Abby McDonald - my review This is a sweet coming of age romance about getting over a best friend. A while before this book was published I read the first chapter somewhere online but couldn't remember name of the book or author. So when I came across it in 2012, I was excited to have found it again.

5. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien - Always a favorite of mine! I will never get tired of reading about Bilbo and the dwarves on their adventure across Middle Earth.

6. I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak - my review Markus Zusak has such a way with words, this book was one I knew I wanted to read after reading The Book Thief. I don't really remember much about the plot, but I remember enjoying reading it.


7. Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Patterson - my review I watched this movie long before I realized it was a book. I loved the movie, but the book struck a chord with me. I really really liked this story of friendship and loss.

8. The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin - my review This is one of my favorite books of all time. I first read it in 7th grade and I have reread it several times since then. The games and mystery of the story always keep you guessing.


9. Alice I Have Been by Melanie Benjamin - my review I listened to the this book and the reader was incredibly engaging. It really enhanced the story of Alice Liddell, the Alice that inspired Alice in Wonderland.

10. The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson - my review A true ghost story, I remember eating this story up when I heard about it. I was so excited to learn it was the first in a series.



1 comment:

  1. Great list! I've heard lots of good things about Why We Broke Up, I'll have to check it out, and I'm intrigued by Alice I Have Been, too. If you're interested in Alice Liddel, I recommend reading Peter and Alice by John Logan. It's a play, so really it's better seen than read, but it's a really interesting story about the real-life encounter between Alice Liddel, the inspiration behind Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, and Peter Llewelyn Davies, the inspiration behind Peter Pan. =)

    ReplyDelete