Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Top Ten Tuesday: Books That Surprised Me


The Top Ten Tuesday has a new home. It's hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl.


1. Trouble Is A Friend of Mine by Stephanie Tromly - I received this in an Owlcrate box and I had never heard of it, so I didn't really know what expect. I was so pleasantly surprised by this story! It has become one of my favorite series.

2. A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab - This series has gotten quite a bit of hype across the internet and it made me nervous to read it. I finally took the plunge last year and so far I like it. I still have to read the last book but I already have a feeling that this entire series will be great.

3. Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo - This duology blew me away. I didn't read the Grisha trilogy so I didn't have any expectations going into these books. I liked the premise: a heist story set in a fantasy world. It has become a favorite for sure.


4. The Night Gardener by Jonathan Auxier - I was given this book by my sister-in-law. She really liked it and hoped that I would too. Unfortunately, it fell a little flat for me. I didn't hate it but the story didn't strike me in the way I thought it would. It left me feeling creeped out, but not in a good way.

5. The Call by Peader Ó'Guilín - Speaking of creepy, I heard this book was spooky, but I really wasn't prepared for it. It was so good, I was shocked by how much I enjoyed being scared by this story.

6. Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by J.K. Rowling, John Tiffany and Jack Thorne - I had such high hopes for this, probably too high, and they just weren't met. I can absolutely see how this play could be amazing on stage, but as a script it just didn't do it for me.


7. The Wicked + The Divine by Kieron Gillen - I was intrigued by this series, but it just didn't live up to the hype. I was surprised by how graphic the violence was in the story and the story itself just didn't captivate me.

8. Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty - Before this book, I read one other Moriarty book and didn't really enjoy it. I took a chance on this book and was surprised by how much I liked it. I loved the intricacy of the plot and the characters, oh it was just so good!


9. The 5th Wave by Rick Yancy - I would have loved this book in middle school or high school, but I read it too late. I was surprised by how lukewarm I felt about it. I thought I was going to be seriously invested, but I wasn't.

10. Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton - I thought there was going to be more action in this book, but there ended up being quite a bit of existential theorizing. I enjoyed the book, but I was surprised by how different it was from how I imagined it.



1 comment:

  1. I really want to read A Darker Shade of Magic and Six of Crows, they look good. The Cursed Child didn't really live up to my expectations, either.

    ReplyDelete